Sunday, March 21, 2010

Witness to History

Walking around Capitol Hill still awes me. I have grown somewhat used to being here, but I still find myself in a haze walking along what are arguably the most powerful blocks in the world. Decisions are made on a daily basis here that affect lives all around the world and I would hope I never grow more accustomed to being present for it.

If you have never stood in the center of the Capitol building late at night, when no one else is around, you really should try it. I stood there tonight as I returned from the recess and took a deep breath. I am fortunate enough to have gotten a seat in the Rules Committee meeting as a blogger, a label I wear with pride tonight. I often avoid using the term, simply calling myself a journalist or reporter so as not to raise alarms, but in my soul I am a blogger. So it truly is significant to me that this bastion of main stream society has opened its doors for this blogger on what may be one of the most memorable weekends of my life.

I am thoroughly moved. This weekend, the congress so many worked so hard to elect over the past several years is going to declare that the Government will take action to address the health care crisis. By no means am I satisfied with what will pass. Then again, I am hard to please. I am thrilled with the work our President is doing but will settle for nothing less than universal social justice. That is an oath I took a long time ago.

So I stand, moved by what we are doing, in the center of one of the most powerful buildings in the world, fortunate enough to call myself a blogger, officially witnessing history in the making from the back of the room with a laptop and a blackberry.
blog comments powered by Disqus